The Sextantio Le Grotte della Civita project is situated in the historical heart of Matera.
18 caves have been restored through a careful and conservative process conducted with the utmost respect for the local cultural heritage. Each cave reveals the original shape and materials.
The hotel’s interior design, the respectful and minimalistic approach of Sextantio is reflected in the plain furniture elements.
The guests will experience a particular atmosphere evoking the cultural and human history of the Sassi of Matera.
Each cave is unique with its design and features.
- Cave 3: A charming 70 m2 cave with big vaults, a cozy living area lit by a skilfully hand-wrought glass window, an original stone sink, and a bathtub located in the relaxation area.
- Cave 7: A romantic 45 m2 cave equipped with a bathtub next to the king-size bed. A front door made with centuries-old woods marks the lavatory area, which spots a gorgeous small window above the sink.
- Cave 9: A cozy 70 m2 cave featuring a third bed, a wide and bright living area, and a bathtub next to the king-size bed. A tuff stone arch introduces the lavatory, which includes toilet services and a sink mounted on a protruding stone.
- Cave 11: A romantic and wide 65 m2 cave with a bathtub in a cozy recess you can access by walking up a few steps. The lavatory is housed inside a third detached space.
- Cave 12: A fanciful and romantic 70 m2 cave with a private small gate. A spectacular arch divides the night zone from the other area, equipped with a cozy bathtub and a genuine stone sink. An intact and cosy recess houses the lavatory.
- Cave 15: A wide and well-lit 70 m2 cave with a bathtub next to the king-size bed and a shower housed in an excavated tuff stone recess. It features an original stone sink, while the lavatories are housed in a cozy and detached environment you access through a wooden door.
- Cave 16: A comfortable and well-lit 45 m2 cave equipped with a bathtub and lavatories housed in a wide and truly genuine environment still displaying its original flooring and a period cistern.